Sunday, January 16, 2011

Green Monsters

Good morning! My juicer finally came in late Friday night, and I made my first juice concoction yesterday morning for breakfast. Wow was it a fun experience! Perhaps the most fun was putting a whole apple into the shoot. It would start of with a slow little drip into the juice canister and then all of a sudden would begin spurting out like a fire hydrant! And the color of my juice was really spectacular too...
Don't you love the bright green color?!

...and it tasted as good as it looks! I used 4 kale leaves, a handful of cilantro, 2 green apples, and 2 limes. The green flavor didn't come through at all really, but thats what I wanted for my first homemade green juice because I want to ease into them a little slowly. That morning I also made grapefruit orange juice for my sister. I was actually really surprised of the yield from these fruits. I used only one of each and we got a beautiful sunset colored 8 oz glass of juice from them. I had a sip and the was definitely better then any store bought juice (plus it used all organic fruits so you aren't getting any pesticides with your juice)! 

Later in the day I made a juice out of beets, apple, and pear. That too was really delicious and the bright pink color from the beets was really beautiful. (Sadly I don't have a picture but more beet concoctions to come.)

This morning I made my second green juice...here's what I put in it this time:
4 kale leaves, a bunch of cilantro, 2 celery stalks, one medium green apple, and one lime

I think next time I may try using a less tart apple, perhaps a fuji, to give a bit more sweetness to the juice. So what do I think about the Ikon 5-speed juicer? I absolutely love it. I am really pleased that this is the one I decided to go with. I am impressed with the juice yield, and the pulp is not very wet so I am confident that I am getting optimum yield from the juices with little waste. It is really a ton of fun to use (although maybe this will wear off after a bit) and I think bringing fun into healthy food preparing makes you more willing to eat healthy foods! I also love that it is easy to clean. I clean it right after using so that nothing dries and although there are a lot of parts to clean (maybe 6?), cleanup goes really quick. It takes me about 4 minutes, and I clean it really thoroughly. From what I have heard some juicers take up to 10 minutes, so 4 minutes seems like a bargain to me!

My workout for the day that I am really looking forward to? Ice hockey! Friends of mine and J's have a pond at their house and in the winter we play ice hockey. Not only is it a ton of fun but its a really great workout (believe me your thighs will be feeling it the next day). When I get home I am thinking of making a couple of raw desserts and watching the Jets game. Go Jets! 

So thats the plan for today. What are all of you up to today? Making any fun treat for football?

No comments:

Post a Comment